A brief history of Rossorry Parish
The name Rossorry ( Ros-airthir) has been linked with monastic and church history in Fermanagh since the 5th Century. At that time the name was linked to a convent set up by St. Fanchea, who was born of noble birth at Rathmore, Clogher. Rossorry at that time was in the townland of Lisgoole (Lisgabhail) and the names remained linked through a series of monasteries on the site.
In 1626 a new church was built of cut stone with a thatched roof. Some of this stone survives until the present day, incorporated into the small building on the south side of the church, known as “The Stables”. At this time the Estate of Lisgoole was in the hands of the Jones family and passed to Robert Johnston, who along with his mother, Mrs Henrietta Field, became the chief patrons of the Parish in the 20th century. In 1841 the new Church was built at Mullinacaw ( where it presently stands) to replace the old building at Lisgoole which was “beyond repair and too small for the use of the 2232 souls of the Parish” !!
Rossorry Parish lies in central Co Fermanagh, located on the outskirts of Enniskillen town. It has a good age mix of parishioners totaling 1124 with many involved in the local community. Within the parish there is a close fellowship with an active and thriving farming community. Recent Incumbents have had a strong working relationship with our neighbours at the Graan Passionist Monastery. There is ongoing efforts to open and sustain dialogue to enhance good community relations in the area. The Parish has its own Church, Church hall, Stables meeting room, House and sizable Parish office. The Church accommodates approximately 400 people. Rossorry Parish promotes and supports a varied and thriving range of activities and groups. These include Church – Choir and Praise Band, Prayer Group, Sunday school and creche and Pastoral visitors. Organisations include Scouts, Guides, Beavers,Brownies and Rainbows. Adult groups include Mothers Union, Wednesday Club, Bowling, Mother and Toddler group, Menzone and Arts and Craft.
A Parish Stewardship campaign was completed in 2014, focusing on Time, Talents and Treasures. This campaign has been successful in involving more people in the Parish and engaging more willing volunteers to assist in most aspects of Parish life. The Parish maintains close links with Jones Memorial Primary School, with the Incumbent usually serving as Chairman of the Board of Governors. Other schools located within the Parish include Portora Royal School and Willowbridge Special school. Additional schools within the locality include Devenish College, Erne Integrated College, Collegiate Grammar school and the South West College of Further Education.
The Parish is blessed with the services of two recently admitted Parish Readers, a retired Non-Stipendiary Minister and Retired Canon. There are also volunteers who assist with the administration of Holy Communion, and a superior group of Church Readers.